Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sabine (pronounced Sabina) Ball dies... or should I say she has graduated to be with the Lord.

I learned today that a good friend in the Lord, sister Sabine Ball, passed on to be with the Lord Tuesday, July, 7, 2009 morning at 11 AM in Dresden, Germany. She was 83. Sabine (pronounced Sabina) was a colorful woman with a passion for Jesus and a heart to help troubled young people.



Sabine was a millionaire – hippie – founder of The Lord’s Land in Mendocino, CA - and eventually became the “Mother Teresa of Dresden, Germany.”

Sabina started “The Lord’s Land,” a place we have spent time at over the years in Mendocino, California. It was a Hippie commune that turned into a Christian Community then a Christian Retreat and now is a YWAM base. We will be down in that area the last two weeks of July and the first week of August.



Our last day is to be Aug. 6 and Sabina was to arrive on that day. Gary and Caren Linden, friends of ours, were trying to get us all together when she arrived, but God obviously has a different schedule. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Proverbs 16:3

I am thankful for the times I had with Sabine. She and I had a different and special relationship. I used to make her laugh a lot. In Germany she was very highly esteemed so things were more formal for her there. When she would come to stay at the Lord’s Land she was able to relax and be herself.

At the age of 67, she moved from Northern California back to her homeland in Germany. When she arrived she saw many homeless and disenfranchised young people on the streets of Dresden. She prayed and told the Lord something must be done to help these children and asked God to raise up someone to help the kids. God’s reply was “How about you?” She gasped and said,” but Lord I’m an old woman, what could I possibly do?” After several “go-arounds,” with God, she took $1500, all the money she had left and rented a former liquor store turning it into the Martin Luther Street CafĂ© in 1993 as a gathering and contact place for children and young people. In addition she founded the metabolic eV, which helps more children and operates youth projects throughout Dresden.



This is a poster that was distributed in Germany this year concerning her work there. It is one of 6 or 8 posters the Germans are using to encourage social care.


She will be missed.


To learn more about Sabine you can go to:

http://www.sabine-ball-stiftung.de/index.php?id=5&L=1


None of us know how long we have on this earth… may we all serve the Lord with the time you have left.


Daniel

4 comments:

Steve Lappin OL Marketing Group said...

If it wasn’t for Sabine I wouldn’t be here today. I was a spaced out hippie that Sabine was willing to talk to even though I would make fun of her and call her a Jesus Freak. Well, her prayers paid off and on one Fri. night in April of 1973 a friend of mine convinced me to go to the Land with him. I went and there was a meeting going on in the Big house. They were singing and then they played a tape by Jim Durkin (Training Your Soul). At the end of the meeting, no one gave an altar call, but I felt something was to happen and Sabine asked me if I would like to go down to her cabin and talk. I did and there were about 10 people there also. After many questions, which Sandro answered, Sabine said, “why don’t we pray.” Everyone took hands and it was very quiet and then Sabine said I think Cricket is ready to receive the Lord. No one led me in a prayer, but the Holy Spirit came upon me and this Jewish guy who had only been in a church once in his life began repenting, and my life was changed that day forever. Oh, and Janis was there and saw me get saved, so I tell people I wouldn’t of gotten saved if it wasn’t for Sabine and Janis and I wouldn’t be going on 36 years of a wonderful life in Jesus.
Thank you Sabine

Comment by Steve Lappin

Robert Gluckson said...

Hi Cricket
That sounds like a familiar evening. I remember you and a friend in the backseat of a car before this, and I was living on the Land intermittently in 73. Mithra aka Robert Gluckson...
RIP Sabina

jacque said...

I was saved in 1973 also and 1980 read Jims book Training Your Soul. Which was a turning point. Visited the Lords land a few times between 1979 and 1995.. one time the Lord told me to go pray with an older lady there ..Yes when I asked around I was lead to Sabie's little cabin.. I told her the Lord wanted me to pray for her..she welcomed me in and was so blessed I came to pray for her.. I have no idea or rememberance of what I prayed but I do remember she prayed for me and I didn't want that prayer to end..
Yesterday while spending time with the Lord she came to my mind and I heard the Lord say go back to the Lords Land and receive more. I just put her name in my search and this sight came up. Thank you for the information and pictures.
I am also a long time YWAMer and had no idea they had the Land..I am so blessed.
Bless you and thank you
Jacque Stickels

Lukas Jacobi said...

I got to know this wonderful woman of god Sabine Ball in the year of 1997 during a music tour through Germany in Dresden. She was supporing our event through prayer while sitting between a loud concert and live music on a little chair in the first line and between young people listening and praying and helping to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. I was very amazed to see such a humbled person who really lived her life truely with Jesus Christ. May we all learn from her life and do the same in our lifes. Praise god for Sabine Ball. Thank You Sabine Ball. You are in god's presence now, the place that you have loved.